05 November 2008

Election Day Special

Last night, for those of you currently cut off from civilisation with this blog as your one connection to the outside world, was the culmination of the Presidential Election here in the US. It was my first time voting and my first time watching the results on TV. (The closest I've gotten to that was the 2000 election, when we listened to the results on the radio until it was my bedtime.) For the 2004 election, my class held an impromptu poll for grades 1-12, recorded the results, and probably watched some of the aftermath on TV.
Now I'm in college and my peers take it more seriously because they can vote, and I admit it, that responsibility is contagious. Yes, I actually voted. I wasn't sure what registering to vote would do to my claim on Australian citisenship, but I figured that it wouldn't do any more harm than getting a driver's licence did, and anyhow, the chances of me needing Australian citisenship anytime soon for anything other than bragging rights are basically nil, so I might as well vote.
Election Night was celebrated here in grand style by the Young Democrats club, the History Club, the Social Work Club, and the College Republicans club. Not being a member of any of those clubs, I snuck into the meeting anyway, stood in a corner, and watched the results come through, because (a) I knew people at the meeting; (b) I needed to get out of my dorm room, otherwise I would be eating everything in sight; and (c) watching CNN projected onto a huge screen sure beats waiting for it to either load onto my computer or appear on YouTube in 5-minute installments. So I stayed there for almost two hours, read Shakespeare during commercial breaks, and generally had a great time.
The club I'm in is celebrating Guy Fawkes Night tonight with the History Club. It promises to be a highly entertaining time ...

Later,

~`Cello Girl

No comments: