09 November 2008

Crazy Times

At my other home (you know, the one that isn't college), I can't help feeling like I'm known as a socially dull person. My social life consisted of school- and church-sponsored events; oftentimes, I was perfectly happy to spend Saturday nights reading or taking a bubble bath.
Then I came to college and everything changed.
First of all, it makes a huge difference to have all of my resources within walking distance (well, except Starbucks). Secondly, in a community of two thousand students and professors, there are so many diverse interests that events run rampant. Just last Thursday, I had to choose between Orchestra practise and a symposium on forgiveness. I'm forever skipping English Club events because they conflict with other events - the Guy Fawkes event was my first, in fact. And next Saturday night, I'm going to have to choose a presentation by two professional Shakespearean actors over another night of contra-dancing. (Sigh.)
Yesterday was seriously cool. I went to Sabbath School in the guys' dorm, then caught the second service at the church. Then I had lunch in the caf with some friends, and we ended up going hiking and (gasp) following a small trail that is probably not officially endorsed. After sundown, we broke out the pizzas, raspberry bars, and hot apple cider, and set up camp in the girls' dorm parlour, where we watched chick flicks until nearly one in the morning.
On a side note, this evening, I thought I'd bake some cookies for my friends, so I took my little package of refrigerated cookie dough and went to the hall kitchen, and there was my friend H, making handmade tortillas, beans, and fried plátanos. Never being one to turn down chocolate, I went ahead and baked the cookies, feeling rather simplistic for not making the dough by hand.
H and I also made a lemon-meringue pie on Friday afternoon. It varied a little from the recipe, since we used a blend of white and brown sugar and I am not the most attentive of cooks. If I'm cooking with friends, I sometimes concentrate more on talking than on cooking. On this occasion, I was in charge of the pie crust, so it ended up a wee bit overworked. Also we couldn't find a pie tin, so we used a cake pan. We ended up calling it "scrambled egg pie", although H's lemon filling turned out very well. I have half a mind to make it again, using pomegranate juice instead of lemon juice and chocolate meringue in place of regular, but we'll see what happens.
L'chaim,

~`Cello Girl

1 comment:

Rachel said...

No I wouldn't think less of you if you changed your minor. Why?
Anyhow I have my schedule all worked out and thanksgiving break is only a week and a half away!! I'm going to a friends house. So I'm sure I'll have fun. What do you plan on doing, going home? I would if I could but I'm going home for Christmas which after thanksgiving break is over is only two and a half weeks after that!!!
As you can see I'm excited for breaks, school is getting a little busy right now.
Well have fun!