18 August 2008

The Director of Textiles Maintenance

is back from camp, heartily missing all of the people there, and wondering why she didn't gain any weight on nine weeks of vegemeat and cucumbers. (Just thought I'd get an early start on the Freshman Fifteen.)
Yes, I had an AMAZING time at camp, laundry and all. I made many new friends, stepped out of my comfort zone (i.e., by tubing down the Green River), and learned so much about what it means to follow God. It was so fun to see Him working - whether by bringing disadvantaged kids to camp, getting us the props and costumes we needed for the plays, or just brightening the day of a lonely laundry girl. It did get lonely sometimes; you can't work by yourself in a small, loud, humid, concrete-floored room ten hours a day without getting lonely once in a while. But as usual, God blessed. He sent me visitors; He motivated people to write me encouraging notes; He prompted my memory on hymn lyrics; He sent me friends who took me under their wings (and brought me food). One friend, a fellow English major, said I was beginning to smell too much like clean laundry, so she signed me up for the staff trail ride that afternoon. The kitchen staff included me in their two Banana Boat rides and made me a part of their synchronised spitting routine. It was such a blessing to be in such a friendly environment. Some people call it the "mountaintop" experience, but I call it the "incubator" experience - everything seems to be going right; negative situations are quickly resolved; the world can't reach us.
However, I'm back home now, and life is speeding up again. Doctor's appointment ... visit to the dentist ... TB test ... meningococcal vaccine ... shopping - it seems like everything I have to do before heading off to college in September involves pain. (Yes, including shopping. I do not like shopping.) It's going to be hard keeping a focus on God, but then, like a friend once told me, "It's not about doing what's easy; it's about doing what's right." So keep praying, people; keep loving and forgiving and devotionaling, if that's a verb.

Me ka pumehana,

~`~`Cello Girl

P.S. - I just re-read the last post and laughed. I missed my 'cello so much and I definitely plan on taking it next year.

2 comments:

Jonathan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jonathan said...

Hey!
Your directorship was very valued this summer, and influenced others in drastic ways! One such way was the difference of smelling bad and smelling good!

Anyway, I agree with you. I miss camp! Remember though, we have contact info! Keep in touch...

Jonathan

PS - I agree with your ban on khakis!