18 November 2007

The Joys of GERD

Some of you know that I have had to sleep sitting up for the past two months. (Yes, it is as uncomfortable as it sounds.) Fortunately, it appears that those days might be over. I was just told last week that I (a) have GERD and (b) need to worry less. When my mum told me that I worry too much, I kind of blew it off; when my math & science teacher told me this, I started to wonder; when my piano teacher, 'cello teacher, and nurse practitioner told me, well, let's just say that some lifestyle changes will be made. Unfortunately, this is easier said than done. If there are any suggestions out there, please make them ahora mismo.
As a part of this, a violin-playing friend and I went to an assisted living centre yesterday afternoon and played hymns for some of the residents. We went because a church member was there, but as soon as the receptionist saw us come in, she started gathering residents for an audience. We ended up playing for about fifteen people. It was way cool. I hadn't meant for it to be a stress reliever, but it turned out to be just that. I mean, we have Women's Ministries, Children's Ministries, Youth Ministries, and Prison Ministries, but what about Assisted Living Care Ministries? (Or Nursing Home Ministries, whatever the difference is.) So anyway, we were very inspired and will try to make it a monthly thing. Personally, I can't think of a better way to spend a rainy Sabbath afternoon. (Trying to nap sitting up doesn't even make the list.)

2 comments:

Rachel said...

No stomach acid!!! No way, that is sooooo cool. Anyhow, I like your new addition to your "about me" section. BTW, don't ever do that again...you hear me?!

Cello Girl said...

Ohhhh, why not? I had fun. It was almost worth it to see everyone racing around like the proverbial headless chicken.