05 October 2008

Musings After 1.5 Weeks of Classes

Having just concluded the first week of classes, it is my humble and unbiased opinion that Sabbath totally rocks. Say what people will about how "inconvenient" and "frustrating" it is to schedule events around a 24-hour block of time, the fact remains that when Friday night arrives, it is such a relief to sit down, take a deep breath, and praise God that you don't have to do anything for the next twenty-four hours. It isn't that you can't do some things; rather, you get to rest and concentrate on what's really important. Last Sabbath I went biking/running with my sister (she ran, I biked); then I went to church for two hours before eating lunch, heading out on a 2-hour hike in a beautiful part of the country, and listening to an organ recital. After sunset, my sister and I ate stir-fry, watched the last fifteen minutes of a football (soccer) game (our team lost), and went to a friend's house to watch the Latter-Day Saints version of Pride & Prejudice. Now it's Wednesday, and I've memorised the endings of the first declension, read fourteen books of The Odyssey, started my laundry, practised organ for 75 minutes last night, and wondered why I'm nearly out of bread. Speaking of laundry, I used Spray n' Wash on my khakis this morning, and it was the first time I'd smelled it in nearly two months and I almost cried. Anyhow. To-morrow is the busiest day of the week - four classes right in a row, plus chapel, so I don't have lunch until about 3.30. Then I have my organ lesson, coffee with my sister, orchestra, and practise with the rest of the Stringinators (an octet of freshman girls rockin' out on various string instruments). Then I read some more Homer, memorise some more Latin vocab, and praise God that the next day is Friday and I have time to prepare for Sabbath and relax.
And no, I didn't audition for A Christmas Carol. I was extremely tempted, but decided not to in the end. Maybe I'll try out for Sense & Sensibility in the spring ... we'll see.

Love, peace, & granola,

~`Cello Girl

3 comments:

Rachel said...

My goodness, you have no time at all and I thought I had it bad. Anyhow yeah I'm having a good time. Guess who is almost here!! I'm so excited! I've actually stopped procrastinating since getting into my sixth week of fall semester which is very very amazing. Well I hope you have a wonderful time with your Latin and what not, I'm exhausted right now so please excuse the shortness. I will try calling you sometime soon and hopefully your phone will be on, lol.
Seven

Rachel said...

I don't work in zero gravity and it really isn't as easy as it looks. My midterm break just got over and I'm not feeling the school work but I have to do it.
You definitely will need to keep me posted on the Amateur hour. How's life been treating you??

Rachel said...

PS. Send me your address via email!