19 March 2008

Apples & Oranges

As much as I love my small school (no finals, nonexistent cliques, teachers care about you), it really makes things difficult sometimes. A few months ago, I was doing some college research, trying to pretend that I would fit in at one of the huge universities with dances and co-ed dorms that keep sending me glossy brochures, and little barbs of reality kept prodding me: SAT Subject Tests. Class rank. CLEP exams. AP classes. And on and on and on, and I'm sitting there going, "'Choose my senior-year classes with my college goals in mind'? How can I do that when there are less than 20 people in my entire high school?" Add to that the fact that most standardised exams are held on Sabbath, and it's easy to feel trapped outside the fence while the gates to Harvard swing shut with an ominous bang.
And then I remember my ulcers (hard to forget them, but there you are), and I remember what the purpose of life is, and I remember that I don't need a degree from Yale to succeed. Who cares if I'm not in AP classes? I have a small, caring, Christian school that trains me to make good choices and cares about what I do.

Peace,

~`Cello Girl

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think your awesome from what I've read so far! I would actually prefer a small school. The bigger schools are not cracked up to be what they really are in the eyes of students who actually care about furthering they're education and knowlegde. I think it's great when someone has positive affirmations like yourself! It really helps in all scenarios and environments. I'm speaking from the view point of someone who has gone to 3 different high schools. It's not the degree that makes the person happy it's the acknowlegdement that what the person has done has reached or exceeded their potential.




justin